Monday, September 17, 2007

david coverversions: save the last dance for me

the songwriting team of doc pomus and mort shuman cranked so many tunes that saying you've heard them all is ludicrous speed; 'this magic moment', 'teenager in love', 'viva las vegas', 'his latest flame (marie's the name)', and 'save the last dance for me', to name a very few. lots and lots of people have played their songs, but here are some of my personal favorites: dion, the beach boys, the coasters, manfred mann, and elvis presley. there are a-many version of 'save the last dance for me', which was written in 1960 and was first recorded by the drifters. it was the only #1 hit for the group. the harry nilsson performed and john lennon produced album 'pussy cats' revisited the song, as well as 'subterranean homesick blues' by bob dylan, back in 1974. fast forward 32 years and you will hear a song-for-song cover of the album done by the walkmen. emmylou harris and dolly parton both gave country fried versions that hit the top ten back in 1979 and 1984 respectively, although dolly's take takes many a-cue from the cheesiest parts of the 80's scene. so, other versions??

the drifters - save the last dance for me
emmylou harris - save the last dance for me
dolly parton - save the last dance for me
harry nilsson - save the last dance for me
the walkmen - save the last dance for me
bruce willis - save the last dance for me


go buy whatcha likes and delete whatcha don't

No comments:

 

free counter